Uh oh, it’s that time of the month. Or at least it’s gonna be as the sun sets on Sunday, 9/27. That’s when the next full moon rises above Austin and the Austin Single Speeders host their next SXSS adventure ride: Lunarcy!
The inaugural SXSS event took place back on June, 28, and was a big, dirty party on MTB wheels. It started and ended at Cycle Progression, and invited riders to visit numerous checkpoints scattered liberally through the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Fun, camaraderie and beer were had by all. Some even walked away with some fabulous prizes donated by sponsors such as Cycle Progression, Shimano, Vassago and the Austin Single Speeders.
This time is going to be exactly the same, but entirely different. Instead of getting dirty, this time we’re going urban. And we’re doing it at night. And home base is on East Cesar Chavez. Fun, comradery and beer will be had by all. And some will walk away with fabulous prizes donated by some kick-ASS sponsors.
SOUTH BY SINGLE SPEED – Lunarcy!
…The Austin Single Speeders and our secret hosts are Keepin’ Austin Wheeled…
WHAT IS IT?
Not a race and not a group ride, but a big, urban, alleycat adventure where you’ll check in at as many points as you can in 2.5 hours. Upon returning to the post-ride festivities at the starting venue you’ll be rewarded with a raffle ticket for each point reached; earning you chances at fabulous prizes from our fabulous sponsors.
WHY THIS FUNKY FORMAT?
Because we want cycling events that are fun for everyone – ourselves included. Something that the fast folks can ride fast, the slower folks can enjoy at their own pace, and not so epic that actual training or inordinate suffering is necessary. Events that can be ridden solo or with a group, can be taken seriously or not, and will ultimately reward riders who can chart a smart route. At the end of the day, this is something different, and it ensures (in fact, mandates) that everyone gets to the party on time. See that? We’re all winning.
Sunday, September 27, 2015
Rolling out at 7:00 pm
Returning at 9:30 pm
Howlin’ at the moon til the beer, snacks and music run out
To be announced to the registered riders.
Anyone lucky enough to receive an invitation and bad ASS enough to accept it!
- Single speeds preferred, but all bikes welcome. Remember, this is going to be an urban ride, so ‘cross bikes are a good choice, but anything will work.
- Bring lights! Good lights (front white and rear blinky)
- When will the checkpoints be shared? Not until the evening of the event. You get to plan your route in real time.
- Will it be possible to hit all the checkpoints in 2.5 hours? Maybe, maybe not.
- Will there be pre-rides to learn the route? Nope.
- Will the course be marked? Dude, there is no course, get it? There will be checkpoints identified and you’ll need to check in at as many as you can in the time allotted.
- How will I check in? You’ll take a selfie of yourself at each checkpoint and proudly display these to a SXSS coordinator upon returning to starting venue. You’ll receive a raffle ticket for each picture proving you reached a checkpoint. Showing a GPS track would be ultra cool too.
- Will I have to drink a shot of warm tequila at every checkpoint? Sadly, no. As fun as that would be, we want everyone making it back to the party in one piece.
- What happens if I get back to the party late? Don’t do it! You can return as early as you want, but for each five minutes past 9:30 PM that you return, you’ll lose one check-in earned on your ride. In other words, arrive 15 minutes late, and you’ll squander three, hard earned raffle tickets. Plan your ride carefully and don’t get greedy.
- Will there be ride leaders? No. But you can follow people who might know their way around better than you. Team up, form alliances, go stealthy and solo – it’s your call.
- Will there be any support out on the route? No. Bring what you need for fuel, hydration, repairs and first aid. It’s urban Austin at night. Be prepared…
- Is there a registration fee for SXSS? Nope. The Austin Single Speeders are hosting this to Keep Austin Wheeled. Donations will be accepted to help defray costs and some SXSS swag will be available for sale. Bring some cash.
- What else do I need? A cell phone or digital camera to record your check-ins.
- Parking at venue will be extremely limited, so either plan to ride to the event, or to park in a surrounding neighborhood and ride to the start.
- Helmets and hydration required.